I remember when I got my glasses, while I had wanted them for a while, I did not realize they were not 'cool' when I got them. I did hear some of the teasing that kids feel is necessary to bestow on those that are different. So, when I heard glasses for my little girl, it just brought back bad memories for me.
I said nothing to her about my past, but was a little worried about how she would feel about getting glasses. I mean, after all, she has red hair and already has braces...one of those would be enough to make some kids feel uncomfortable about being 'different,' let alone all three!
Well, I was COMPLETELY surprised by her reaction...the conversation went something like this:
K: Mom, I am going to be the coolest kid EVER!
Me: Really? Why?
K: (in her, I can't believe I have to explain this to you voice) MOM, my red hair, my braces, my glasses...THE COOLEST KID EVER!!!
While I wanted to laugh out loud, I also wanted to break down and cry!!
Because somewhere along the way, God had helped me to instill in my daughter such a love for herself -- and confidence in who she was that took me 30 years to find!
My prayer is that I will help her keep that love of herself through all of life's ups and downs.
And, I have to say, she really is THE COOLEST KID EVER!

2 comments:
I agree....VERY cool!! She looks awesome - especially with that huge gorgeous smile she's wearing! :) Love it!!
She looks absolutely lovely!! Of course, I'm biased toward kiddos with glasses anyhow. :) That said, I completely understand your concerns about teasing and all...alas, we wouldn't be moms if we didn't completely fret about things like that, right? I have to think that in a few years, with perfect teeth, that gorgeous thick hair, and cool frames, no one's going to be teasing anyhow!!
Post a Comment