Thursday, October 25, 2012

Some thoughts....




Suffering, a blessing in disguise?
1 Peter 4:13

By: Serena Kleppinger

I’ve been thinking a lot about suffering lately. Could have something to do with the suffering my family has dealt with this year and the suffering I see in the lives of so many around me. I have always found it interesting how people respond so differently to suffering. Which caused me to ask, what is my default?

When people in the church talk about suffering they often quote 2 famous scriptures about it: one from Peter and one from Jesus, Himself. In John 16:33 we find the first one: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” And, in 1 Peter 4:13 we find the second one: But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. We quote these verses a ‘promises’ – Jesus ‘promises’ us we will have trouble, Peter ‘promises’ us we will be overjoyed when it is all revealed. But, most people know that is hard to do. When you are in the midst of a struggle, whatever that may be, it is hard to grab hold and say, ‘Yes, Jesus promised this would happen.’ Or, ‘Yes, I will rejoice in the middle of this.’ I think we would be fooling ourselves if we said we always respond this way. Which brings me back to my question…what is our default?

The more I’ve thought about this, the more I’ve spent time in His Word, just desperately seeking after His heart to help me in the midst of all that is going on, the more I have been reminded of some of the other promises. But, first, let’s look at the ones we’ve already mentioned. If you read Jesus’ words in John 16:33 He indeed promises that we will have trouble, it’s the next promise that we can cling to – ‘BUT, TAKE HEART! I have overcome the world!’ Yes, we will have trouble here, but even in our trouble, Jesus Christ is victorious! And, in 1 Peter 4:13 the promise is that His glory will be revealed and when it is, we will rejoice even more! That gives me hope – that even in the middle of the stuff of life, God is victorious and when He reveals His purpose, I will be excited even more for what I had to endure. There are SO many other promises like that in scripture- ones that I find I am turning to more and more frequently as I navigate the suffering around me and in my own home- I have found my default response… Verses like:
Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Joshua 1:5
No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 43:2
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
Isaiah 43:5a
Do not be afraid, for I am with you
Matthew 28:20b
and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The list could go on and on! What HOPE there is in these promises! What comfort and peace! Even though we are suffering, even though we see those around us suffering we can rest assured that not only will God be victorious, but He is walking with us through the suffering, right there next to us, holding us close and whispering how much He loves us! Suffering really can be a blessing in disguise! God does not leave things unredeemable – He can redeem anything we put in His hands, He turns ashes into something beautiful, only He can do that! It reminds me of a song by the Christian band Thousand Foot Krutch – they are most known for their heavy rock (and I mean heavy! J ) but, if you take the time to listen to them, their ballads are some of the most beautiful, deep, Spiritually solid stuff out there. One of their songs called ‘All I Need to Know’ is one I am resting in these days. Listen to some of these words:

There's a moment in the morning, when I feel the most alone
But then I hear Your voice, whispering my name.
It's like a wave of understanding and I never could of planned it
When the questions, and doubts all fade away.
I figured it out, You turned me around at the speed of light.
All that I ever needed to know was in your eyes.
I don't know why, it's so hard to swallow our pride.
And I'll never count all the stars in the sky.
I don't know the reason sometimes it just feels so good to cry!
And I don't know which way the wind will blow.
But you're here with me.
And that's All I Need To Know!

That’s all I need to know!

1 comment:

Auntie J said...

Two of my favorites that I clung to during the darkest days of our custody battle:

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Isaiah 42:1-6a
Here is my servant, whom I uphold,
my chosen one in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will bring justice to the nations.
He will not shout or cry out,
or raise his voice in the streets.
A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.
In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
he will not falter or be discouraged
till he establishes justice on earth.
In his teaching the islands will put their hope.”
This is what God the Lord says—
the Creator of the heavens, who stretches them out,
who spreads out the earth with all that springs from it,
who gives breath to its people,
and life to those who walk on it:
“I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand."