Thursday, October 10, 2013

Back at it...

Well, it's been almost a year since I've posted anything here.  But, I'm back at it...back to writing.  Back to taking the scriptures God lays on my heart and writing my thoughts about them.  I thought I'd share one with you...my prayer, that it will speak to you heart.
*disclaimer -- I am in no way a Biblical scholar :)  I just write what I glean from the scriptures...it might not be 'correct', but I believe the Holy Spirit teaches us what we need to know/learn everytime we open His word...

What Would Have Been?
Isaiah 48:17-18
By: Serena Kleppinger

I have stumbled upon these verses in Isaiah before, they struck me, but I don’t think I ever really paid attention to them.  Then, recently, as I was reading a devotional I came across these verses again.  This time, they spoke to my very soul.  My first thought was, “How did I miss this?”  These verses are short, but filled with both promise and warning.  Isaiah 48:17-18 says:
17-18 This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea.
WOW!  Let’s look at the promise first.  God, the creator of the universe is promising to teach me what is best for me and direct me in the way I should go!!  WOW!  Why would I ever wonder what I’m supposed to do with my life?  If I am connected to God, spending time in prayer, reading His word, and truly seeking after Him, HE will guide me in the way I should go!  So often we just sit still, waiting for God to answer or waiting for God to show up in some miraculous way.  I don’t think that’s what the verse is saying because God uses the word ‘teach.’  Teach implies that we are sitting under His feet LEARNING from Him!  If we are not submitting ourselves to His teaching how will we ever learn which way to go?  So, we humble ourselves and allow Him to teach us and show us which way to go…well, what if we don’t??  This verse also has a warning.
When I read verse 18 I was broken in my spirit.  It hit me like a ton of bricks – like God was trying to knock some sense into me.  Verse 18 gives exactly what will happen when we do not follow God’s commands – what we will miss out on.  ‘Your peace WOULD HAVE BEEN like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea!’  YIKES!!  I don’t like the words ‘would have been.’  How many times do we cry out for peace, but have we been following God’s directions??  If we are, then peace is like a river…if not, we miss out!  I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve heard people say they want to know God’s will and follow it, but they are afraid of what He might ask of them…this verse says if you don’t follow, there is no peace!    It is a sobering reminder that God promises peace – it is His gift to us, but we have to be willing to follow. 
What is holding you back from truly following God?  What do you need to let go of so you CAN follow – job, family, money??  What are you allowing first place in your life and in turn is stealing your peace??  Let it go!  Give it over!  Let God have all of you – everything about you – and watch your peace flow like a river!  Don’t let ‘would have been’ be part of your life!

No comments: